Tuesday, March 22, 2011

friends...

I've been looking for a specific picture that was taken of our good friends at one of our kids wedding. I can't find it...urrr! makes me so mad. I can picture exactly the one I'm thinking about and it's no where to be found!
Yesterday, I received a text from Mick...Mom- Natalie Pili has posted on facebook that her Dad, Nathan has pancreatic cancer...oh how my stomach just fell! That can't be! We're all young and kipper...you know...untouchable! That only happens to those that we don't know! I tried to call Julie when I got home and all I got was her voice mail. She was either busy..or just overwhelmed with what life had just dealt her. After I finished dinner, I told Rick, we need to go over there. Just the past couple of weeks I had really been thinking about them...not a worry or anything like that...just hey, I wonder how our friends the Pili's are doing, haven't seen them in awhile! Now I know why, and now I know that I need to listen to even those little whisperings!
Rick & I were nervous to head over there...really what do you say, other than hey, we love ya! Be tough and we're right here for you! That's enough isn't it, just to know your friends and loved one's are rallying around to pray and hope for you during one of the toughest battles you will ever fight! I'm so glad we did. Nathan was by himself while Julie was with Taylor for a bit. It gave Rick & Nathan more of a chance to visit and bond again as the close friends they have always been. He was his usual tough guy at first, I'm fine, he said, and showed us his manual of what is happening to his body. Rick asked him how Julie was holding up....he bowed his head and cried, couldn't speak..said, she's struggling! Can you imagine! We all cried! We said, hey..it's okay to cry cause Cancer sucks..this sucks! But we're here! Please please please call on us to help you fight this fight! Whatever it takes! So pray for our friends! For Nathan to beat this, for Julie to hold up the fort while they all fight this. For their adult kids, who have a hard time imagining their big tough dad, who is untouchable and so strong, be beaten down by such a wicked and mean disease. He is having surgery on Thursday...the odds look good for him..best Dr in the nation is his!
Makes you look at your own mortality...reminds us of how easy and fast life can take a turn for a direction you did not plan. Makes you really stop and look at your own inner circle of family and blessings! How I fear facing these types of things...this is too close to home!~

No comments:

Post a Comment