Monday, August 23, 2010


It's been a month ago today that Dad passed away. Seems like yesterday, or just a few days ago anyway. What a whirlwind of stuff to do, gathering of most of our loved ones, and honoring my perfect Dad! So much I want to journal about that time...so many tender things, but not here, I think I'll do a book for all of us...in my spare time! Dad died on Friday, and we didn't have his memorial until the following Saturday. This was to allow as many to come as wanted to. Karen & Dale arrived at Linda's (the gathering place) on Sunday afternoon. We met with Jared Fairbanks the mortician that evening. That's when it all began I guess and it didn't stop until the Wednesday following Dad's funeral! Brent & Linda arrived on Wednesday early afternoon, and Janell & Bo with their little one arrived later that day. Aunt Bonnie, Mom's sister and son Tommy arrived on Friday afternoon. We really didn't stop all week! And they all stayed at Linda's! I even slept over from Thursday-Saturday. Felt like I was missing out on some party or something, and well the drive...it stinks!
My most favorite part about the whole ordeal was the gathering of our family. Aunt Bonnie & Tommy being here was beyond cool! To have Aunt Bonnie sit and tell us not only who was in pictures, but the story about them was the coolest story time I have ever had! I so wish we had a recorder going! Our children would gather at night for eats, and visits, that was so nice. We just don't do that enough! Dad was surely smilin down on all of that! It brought us 4 siblings together to plan something honorable and memorable for a man we love so much. It was sweet. The care of Dad has forced (not sure I like that word but don't know what else to call it) Linda & I to communicate, talk, share, and even vent many times over for the past 2 1/2 years. It's brought us closer as we shared not only the care of Dad, but many of our own heart aches and joys with our own family! It makes me sad to think that we don't have that any more. Mick says, well, what are you going to do about it Mom? It will take effort, just like any friendship does!
Of course emotions were all over the place this week. Still are at times. Find myself missing Dad so much on Sundays. Driving to Mom's yesterday brought tears to my eyes as I remembered how very tender he was with her each and every week!
The hardest time for me was driving home Sunday night after most everything was over. I cried like a baby! I felt like I was driving away from something that I will NEVER have again. What will happen to our family now that our Dad is gone. How will we come together. Only time and efforts will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment