Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Mom


Okay....so this picture IS kind of scary! We just had to take it cause it made us laugh! Crazy fro do and all...she was so out of it this night. And so so skinny! This was Wednesday, September 15, 2010 and it has been a rough month~ The first of the month, the care center called to report that Mom has a broken hip. We knew this would not be good. That she would most likely decline quickly. Linda has been traveling in a Motor Home caravan since the end of August and has just returned tonight. This has been a real trial for Linda, as she has worried about being gone and we both are preparing to say goodbye to our Mom for the 2nd time. This actually goes hand in hand with the care taking of both her & Dad being one of the hardest things we have ever done. It's an honor, but it's hard! We have both cried on each other, and can't believe how emotional we are, how Dad's passing and funeral seems like it was all just a dream. Now we'll be preparing for another one soon! Mom is one tough cookie. She hasn't declined as quickly as we thought. But honestly, I believe it's due to answers to our prayers and the pure knowledge that we have that Dad is telling her to hold on until Linda gets home. Dad was always concerned with Linda & I "being put out" as he would say in their care. I told Linda that he was helping Mom to wait for her. I believe that with all my heart. Last Thursday, I had the day off and went to an IT meeting at Crossland's. They have them occasionally, and I have complained so much I figured they were either kicking us out, or actually trying to communicate with us! The meeting went well. It was all the staff that has anything to do with Mom (one representative), my hospice ladies, and me. Rick asked me if I was intimidated and I said, heck no, they should be! HA! I have learned to speak my mind, in a calm, sweet, but firm way. The staff actually comes to me now as I arrive and ask about Mom. For awhile, I swear they would hide! This night of the picture, I was pretty discouraged. Mom was pretty out of it, even though she hadn't had meds since noon. She would look up at me, but not see me, looking right past me. It made me sad. I asked her if anyone was home and Rick just said, I don't think so hon! But Thursday after the meeting, I walked into her room where she was lieing down, and the nurse said, look Nona, Stacey is here. She smiled, reached out for me, and saw me. She didn't know me, but she knew I loved her and it felt so good. It has been awhile since I saw that. It brought me to tears actually. She told me that "George wants her to quit but she doesn't want to!" (Hmmm)
I had them get her out of bed, and I took her to the beauty salon to fix that crazy mop. She had a hair cut and set. It was a good day. Today after the walk, I went to see her, and she was sleeping soundly, so couldn't get much of a feel for today's status. The nurse reported that she now has an open bed sore on her bottom about the size of the top of your thumb. That's not good! SIGH

No comments:

Post a Comment