Saturday, November 28, 2009

THANKSGIVING DAY















Thanksgiving Day was an great day! The boys slept real good and woke up about 730ish...not bad. And the day was off to a steady pace! I headed out to pick up my Dad about 11:00 ish while Rick stayed home with the boys and to guard the Turkey..guard..not so sure thats the right word..But he was in charge! I asked Dad if he wanted to see Mom and he hesitated and I said, Dad, you don't have to, she won't know the difference! It makes Dad so sad when we visit-he misses who she was sooo much! I'm sure this holiday season is a rough one for him. I said, why don't we just head to my house and if you change your mind, we'll stop on the way home and he thought that was a great idea. We didn't stop. He was tired, and I didn't offer it. Didn't want to damper his day...call me a bad daughter, but it just wasn't in me this day! I'm so glad we did it that way. Dad seemed to really enjoy his stay. He didn't seem down and really enjoyed watching the game and hanging with each of us! He's never been a turkey fan, so I had a ham in the crock pot..it wasn't very good though---sorry Dad...kind of tasted like card board! We had the works...Mick was in charge of a veggie and pumpkin pies and Ang was in charge of the mashed potatoes and salad. I made some yams with apples and walnuts mixed in...with a little bit of marshmellows and cornbread stuffing which is a must. The turkey got done about an hour earlier than I had planned, but that ended up being a good thing. The striped jello was a hit with Payson, and Talan...well I think he ate cereal!! To be a kid again-they just don't know what their missing! Thanksgiving is not one of my favorite holidays...a lot of work and now that I'm in charge of the main mean...I miss out on the fun with everyone visiting and playing. This year I said no to that and asked for help. It was really nice. Next year I think I'll follow the Walker family plan and have pie night either the night before or after Turkey day. We had all these wonderful desserts and everyone too full to enjoy one of them. No one had any!
We have so many things to be thankful for! We are abundantly blessed in more ways to list here, but I will say that I'm most thankful for my Eternal companion and our Family that we are a part of! They really do complete me! Corny, but true!
I've thought a lot about some of my favorite memories of Thanksgiving while growing up...I too want to create memories that my family will hold dear. Mostly the gathering of loved ones. While small...with my Grandma & Grandpa Allgood and the zillion cousins we had to play with...40 something...then in my early teens and young adulthood...Aunt Joy's cafe...making it a whole weekend event, sleeping at the cafe and playing games till wee hours of the night....Remember "Injun" poker with Doug & Gerrie...laughing till our guts hurt so! Miss those days! And a few years with my own siblings and their kids. I wish we were all closer and not so spread apart through the miles! With my own little family...I look forward to many years of fun filled holiday weekends and hope that we all will have the desire to gather together and enjoy one another always! That's my goal...That's my dream. I really LOVE our kids and the people they have become....and that includes their spouse's! I can see where they complete my child!

1 comment:

  1. Your dad looks so happy. He looked like he really enjoyed his time with your family. We went the day after thanksgiving to my brother's cabin and celebrated thanksgiving there with them. Lots of fun, games, sledding, good food, and memories.

    ReplyDelete