Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mother's Day



Mother's day is a fun day. Getting pampered by the kids and Rick, making me feel more special than usual. Getting waited on for dinner, but just being together as a family is the best part! I love hanging with each of them. The weather did not hold for a barbecue, so Rick baked the chicken and we ate inside. That's a bit crowded and crazy these days, but it's fun. The boys especially need some room to run, throw and kick balls~ Indoors is just more than they can handle at their age! We look so forward to enjoying the good ol back yard again, that is if it EVER stops raining!
The morning started with a visit to see Mom. Found myself being sad, missing my Dad, wishing I was picking him up to see Mom for the day. Some Sundays are just hard and this one was kind of like that. Missing so much of what we use to have with Mom & Dad, even extended family. Found myself kind of melanchonly. (is that the right word?) anyways...I took Mom a couple of t shirts and some sweat pants. She's so hard on clothes, and the fact that I'm pretty sure they bleach about everything there! She was in her bed when I got there. I was bugged. The ward came by with a carnation, offered one to me to give her, saying, I don't know if she even understands....no, but thank you for the gesture and took one to add to her vase! She was wide awake, just playing with the cords above her bed. Her alarm was not on her, and she was just clueless of the fact that I was there. It was hard to sit there this day, but I did. Watched a little TV. The ward came by to offer the sacrament....Mom was not into this week. She kept fiddling with the cords so much that she would unplug them, one being the nurse call button. I would just plug it back in and try to distract her, but she wasn't interested or even aware of me. The aide came in to answer the call...she said "did you want to take your Mom somewhere fun?" Really....do you REALLY know my Mom and her condition....you can't take her anywhere! That annoyed me. No I said, just don't like her in her room when she's wide awake like this, Mom has always enjoyed being around the people. She told me she thought Mom would be more comfortable in her bed than that nasty chair...I didn't even respond. Just asked that the get her up and ready for lunch. SIGH! She had another aide assist with the change of her nasty clothes, breakfast was all over her. Then they put her in her chair. I sat for a few more moments, took her picture, and told her I had to go to my church. Kissed her on the forehead and she grabbed my hand and told me I looked beautiful! Thank you Mom for that sweet gift.
After church the kids were here when I arrived. It was a nice visit. My sweet gift was a gift card to Macy's for new clothes. Excited~ who doesn't love a new wardrobe in the spring time! Now if it will only get warm enough to wear them! We didn't take any pictures of the family gathered. We veged on the couch mostly or wherever we were planted. I need to be better at more picture taking!
I feel pretty honored to be a daughter, a wife, a mother and gramma, connected to such wonderful people that I call family! I watch each one of them and am in awe of who they have each become, each handling their own lives and trials. We are so lucky in our family to be close and it's my prayer always that we will continue to be so! I feel blessed to call each one of them my friend! I worry that I was the best Mom that I could be, wishing I could do some things over. But mostly grateful for the time I was allowed to be home with them. That meant so much to me, probably more to me than them! Times that I will never get back! And loving the times we share with them each now! Thanks for the honor!

No comments:

Post a Comment